HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fenceline Gobbler
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 AM
huntnma
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fenceline Gobbler

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: huntnma

I worked this gobbler for 2-2.5 hours nonstop, it was great, I could hear him drumming,but he never showed himself...he was no more than 40 yards away..well there was a fence...I know he's roosting right there on the fenceline, I scouted him preseason, I was thinking if i put a decoy out , while it's still dark , do a couple of tree yelps, then the first fly down , he might fly over to me and not the lush field on the private property, lol..... what would y'all do ?

I have sang that hung up song over and over, and I should know better than to try call a turkey through a barbed wire fence and I did give him my best fighting purrs,lol but he just gobbled, he never came through......
Try this.... it has worked for me several times. Fire him up! I mean pour it on him hard. Lots of cuts and excited yelps. Make him gobble his head of for about 10 min. Then go dead silent. It will be the hardest thing you've ever done turkey hunting. He will try his hardest to get you to call back to him, but don't. If it works, he will go silent too. If he does that means he's going to committ. If he goes silent he will fly over in a couple minutes.
I did try that...he did come closer, but he never crossed.....I have had birds cross the fence before, I know they'll do it, he just won't, lol........