HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats the deal? Quartering to shots
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the deal? Quartering to shots

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I think many of you are seriously full of it if you say you wouldn't shoot one... I don't think most have the patience to stare at a point blank buck and say "hes not broadside, ill let him pass".
Maybe some are Derek, but I'm not one of them that's full of It. Trust me, no one knows patience better then a person hunting with a traditional bow. 8 years or so ago I let a 150" to 160" 10 point walk at 25 to 30 yards broadside, to far for my recurve. Patience let that buck live another day without me possibly wounding him. I'd do the same thing again. He was just out of range barely, Iffy shot at best. If It's not a high percentage shot, I'm not taking It. I've wounded one animal In 23 years of bowhunting, high percentage shots are the reason that number Is low.
Like I said, i would do the same, and have soo many times. My post may have sounded like i am one to only take a marginal shot b/c of the rack of the deer, but i didnt mean for itto sound that way. The personal attack got me a little firedup tho, b/c my goal isto be clean and precise. Iconsider myself to be above average with a compound bow, but still 33 yards is the longest shot i have ever taken on deer and that was this year on the buck i killed. Not a confidence issue at all either as ive drawn down on many at 40 and 50 yards with sure confidence that i could put the arrow in the spot w/out a doubt, but i have never taken them. I believe there is alot that can happen between the release of the arrow and the deer, and that is why i dont take these shots. I can say though, if I had a 150" deer, or even the deer i shot this year come up to me within 20yds at a slightly quartering to angle, and I thought w/out a doubt the deer would be dead, I WOULD take it. I have confidence when i let an arrow go, and won't shoot unless Im almost positive. But then again just b/c you feel like that, you never know when that twig will be in the way, or that deer will jump the string etc...

I commend you for your record shulty and its one that i would imagine 90+% of dedicated bowhunters would love to have. Its a horrible feeling losing a deer...

On another subject- Someone said something about why the tv hunters seem to always wait until night to goget their deer? I kind of feel the same wayabout that. Its like they know/dont have confidence that their deer went down quick. I feel liike alot of times by doing that they waist the meat which is horrible as well. Maybe its for another reason or whatever, but it does seemlike they are allways worried.I shot 3 arrows this year, and killed 3 deer. 2 of them dropped within sight. The other, ihit a little far back and had totrack it about 180yds. I actually thought i missed the one completely and until i got down to get my arrow, i had no clue that i hit the deer. I went on tracking him b/c i had very good blood.

Derek