HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - arrow straightness
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow straightness

ORIGINAL: JeffB

We've discussed arrow straightness/spine back and forth forever here. I know. I'm feeling ranty.Deal.

Would any of you shoot an Aluminum arrow that wobbled on either end? I've seen a million guys see an Alum arrow with wobble and either head for the straightener or the arrow is in the trash within 30 seconds. "It's bent!"

So why in god's name would you pay $80 - $130 for a dozen carbon arrows and roughly a third (or more!) of them are essentially "bent"? You cannot straighten a carbon arrow.

I'm not talking about advertised straightness (which can be very different! and manufacturers know this- and thus why they get away with this crap)

I'm talking about wobbly nocks and wobbly broadheads.

I would NEVER EVER shoot a fixed blade head at modern arrow speeds on an alum arrow that was bent at the tip or nock. And I'm not going to do it on a carbon arrow that has the same issue.

I had this convo with my buddy back home last week or so, and a post on AT reminded me of it. He has a few of his $130 a dozen (fletched, sky high shop prices) Beman camo ST Axis type arrows that wobble. He has about 4 or 5 that he won't hunt with at all cos the broadheads are wobbly and don't group well/with the rest past 20 yards. So he went out and bought another half dozen hoping to get some straighter ones.

He was hesitant to spend more money on straighter shafts from CX, or Easton (A/C tech).. Of course I asked him- "why would you pay $200 dollars for what amounted to a dozen of good to decent ST type shafts from Beman, and have a problem spending $160 on a dozen A/C/Cs which are of the highest quality?"

Silence.

I can understand being on a budget. Really, I do. But you are better off spending less money on a bow, or fancy camo, or Scent Lok or whatever than spending less money on quality ammo (and string/cables for that matter).

I have said this for years,if on a budget,spend less on the bow and more on the arrows.After all,that is the buisness end of things.

AND I agree,the components,front and back are what determines just how well the arrow will fly.