HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - arrow straightness
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow straightness

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Couldn't agree with you more Jeff.

One thing I see a lot of, especially the shops around me is the improper building of arrows to begin with. This is the reason I build all of my shafts myself. I see to many guys just cutting a shaft at one endand gluing an insert in, without taking time to properly align the components or squaring the end of the shaft. That process right there, IMO, is the single most important "flaw" in most shops.

I think that most of the better grade carbons out there are more than capable to shooting a fixed head well, as long you get the other steps when building them done right. A misaligned insert is probably the biggest culprit to broadhead/point wobble. Same thing for the nocks.

Take the time to cut both ends of the shaft, square them with an ASD or other means and you'll be way further ahead. I read somewhere that a pro shooter for Gold Tip once stated that you can get .001 straightness or close to it, out of an XT shaft by cutting equally from both ends.

You are correct! Ive personally talked to the president of a certain arrow company and he actually told me that all it takes to make one of their .005 arrows a .001 is to cut about 1/2" off of the nock end of the arrow. He told me that b/c i was with a staff shooter then and i was just kinda listening in[:-] Its no real secret none the less b/c if you actually check for straightness you would know that anyway. he said that applies for most arrows b/c of the runout on the ends is where you get the lack of straightness.

Good rant...

Derek