HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scopes for less than $300
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes for less than $300

ORIGINAL: 1eyebuck

I have a leupold and I can tell you even though it has a great reputation, I will never buy another. I purchased a new 3x9x40 matt finish brand new. It's avx II, I purchased it for 229.00 a few years back. I put it on my mark v ss 300 weatherby mag. Something went wrong with the scope and because they advertise in hand warrantee I sent it back. The manager called me and said the scope is so old they don't have parts for it. I asked what he was smoking. I said the scope is 2 years old and I purchased it brand new. He said if I did I would have sent in the box and bag. I said why would I do that? There is no guarantee I would get that back. He said well I can tell how old it is by the letter e in the beginning of the scope. I said you're a complete idiot and have no idea what you're doing. They didn't even have matt finish back then. I said what happened to in hand warrantee? He said ok we will do what we can and ship it back to you. When I got it back it was damaged. It had a scratch in the lens. Since then I purchased a Nikon scope. I have to say it's one of the best scopes I ever had. It's very clear and when it starts to get dark the recitals start lighting up making it very easy to see the crosshairs as well as the target. I shot a 10 pointer this year with it and the deer was at 50 yards the scope was set at 7 power. I had no time to react and had no issues seeing the deer and the spot I wanted to shoot him at. Anyhow like the other said, you should have no problem finding a good scope for that price. Good luck.
Yep from everything I've heard and read Nikon makes some great scopes. I've never personally owned one but I wouldn't hesitate to try them out. I thought seriously about them in the past but ended up with my Burris due to a deal that was too good to pass up. I like it much much better than the Leupold but can't comment on how it will hold up as I've only had it one hunting season. Of course the Leupold started acting up in less than a year too. So far so good and from looking through it I love it.

Like I said though I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Nikon if I needed a scope and found one in my price range that did what I wanted. I may very well have gotten one last time but the Burris just fit the bill and I don't regret my purchase.