Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scopes for less than $300 >

Scopes for less than $300

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scopes for less than $300

Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scopes for less than $300

I am wanting to get a scope for my new Savage 116 300 Win mag, but would like to limit my price to $300 or less. I have looked at the 4200 Bushnell Elite's, but have been told they are finicky with eye relief. All my other rifles have cheapo Simmons 8 point scopes, so almost anything will be better than what I'm used to. However, I have no complaints with my $50 Simmons other than my buddy has a $300 scope and has at least 10 more minutesof shooting light than I have. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes for less than $300

I really like Nikon. This site has a lot of really cheap quality scopes...

http://www.theopticzone.com/
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Elite 4200 variable that sits on a used Savage ML-10 I bought. I was not initially enthused about this "cheap" scope and planned to replace it with a Zeiss Conquest. But I got lazy and did not make the change. So at the last day before the Ml season started, I went to the range. Set up a good grouping load and headed to the woods for a 5 day ML hunt. I was very, very pleased with the scope. It is a bit long and therefore a bit heavy ... as for eye relief, I had no problem. Low light was very good. It is dog-goned clear and crisp. This one has the "Fire Fly" option and "Rain Guard". The Fire Fly is not worth paying anything extra for in my book. The light gathering was good enough for me to hunt well into the afternoon's lowest light. In the $300 range, I'd call it a great buy. But I have no clue if it will hold up for years. Get back to you on that much later!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt about it, the 4200 Elite would be my choice for a scope less that $300. You can still find the 3x9x40's for less than $250. I'd put a Limbsaver recoil pad on the rifle also.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 3-9 X 40 4200 Elite's are likely the best scope out there at that price point. The only "issue" may revolve around eye relief on certain magnum rifles. I can tell you this, on a 30-06 shooting 180 gr. pills, I had zero issues. You may wish to check out Nikon Buckmasters or Monarch's, Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9 X 42 or even Leupold 4X fixed power scopes. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

The 3-9 X 40 4200 Elite's are likely the best scope out there at that price point. The only "issue" may revolve around eye relief on certain magnum rifles. I can tell you this, on a 30-06 shooting 180 gr. pills, I had zero issues. You may wish to check out Nikon Buckmasters or Monarch's, Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9 X 42 or even Leupold 4X fixed power scopes. Good luck.
+1!

If you're spending $250-$300, you're going to get a good scope, no matter what you choose. Check out as many as you can with your own eyes, & let them be the judge. It's hard to make a bad choice in this price range.

I was incredibly impressed with the 4200's - they seemed to hold their own with $450 scopes when I was comparing 2 years ago.

FWIW, the Sightron Big Sky scopes seem to have some passionate supporters, & I hear tell there's a $50 rebate on them right now. I've never looked through one before, but I'd be sure to do so if I were in the market for a scope.

Find a place with a big selection, then let your eyes pick out the ones you like best. Hold 'em up to your rifle, & pick the one that fits the rifle & your eyes the best. And then pray that you don't fall in love so deeply with that scope, that you feel the need to replace all your Simmons scopes!

FC
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

FC, the Sightron's are VERY GOOD. I believe their glass is made by LOW (Light Optic Works, Japan) who also make the Elite 4200 / 6500 glass. Sightron has the weather coating plus their CS Dept. is top notch.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have looked through some Redhead scopes for less than $175 and at a Nikon for $280 and couldn't tell much diufference in the store. Too bad they won't let you take it outside at last light and look through them.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cjohnson3006

I have looked through some Redhead scopes for less than $175 and at a Nikon for $280 and couldn't tell much diufference in the store. Too bad they won't let you take it outside at last light and look through them.
I'd be surprised if you couldn't talk them into it. Narrow your choice down to 2 or 3 scopes, then tell them what you're trying to do. Surely they could have someone walk outside with you while you made your choice.

Park your truck as far away from the door as possible, & put a used target paper on the window that faces the store. At dusk, see which of the scopes help you pick out the bullet holes the best. Also, when comparing, do make sure that you focus each scope for your eyes. Some yahoo might have really screwed with the focus, & made things hard to compare.

The neat thing is that if your eyes don't notice a difference between those 2 scopes, then you'll be luck enough to save some serious $$$!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

+1!

If you're spending $250-$300, you're going to get a good scope, no matter what you choose. Check out as many as you can with your own eyes, & let them be the judge. It's hard to make a bad choice in this price range.

I was incredibly impressed with the 4200's - they seemed to hold their own with $450 scopes when I was comparing 2 years ago.

FWIW, the Sightron Big Sky scopes seem to have some passionate supporters, & I hear tell there's a $50 rebate on them right now. I've never looked through one before, but I'd be sure to do so if I were in the market for a scope.

Find a place with a big selection, then let your eyes pick out the ones you like best. Hold 'em up to your rifle, & pick the one that fits the rifle & your eyes the best. And then pray that you don't fall in love so deeply with that scope, that you feel the need to replace all your Simmons scopes!

FC
I disagree. I bought a Leupold VX-I 3x9x40mm that's in that price range and I can't say I've been too happy with it. I was later told oh those scopes are junk you should get at least a VX-II. I'm sorry but for $200+ it doesn't have any excuse to be junk when a $30 Tasco works just as well and has lasted me longer.

That being said I bought a Burris 3x9x40mm with the free Garmin eTrex GPS for $199 on clearance and I love this scope. I like my Simmons and Tasco I have too but neither compare to this one imo. Although I will say the Simmons has taken a beating over the 4 years I've had it and doesn't seem to lose zero. That was one of the complaints about the Leupold it lost zero very easily if you hit it or dropped it or anything. The Simmons doesn't and is a great scope. The Burris seems a bit clearer though.

Quick Reply: Scopes for less than $300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.