HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cant decide on ammo
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cant decide on ammo

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a Jellyhead choke. Normally i shoot Winchester Double-X Magnums,2 1/4oz 3.5" #5. This year i want to upgrade. Im trying to decide on either Hevi-Shot or Nitro. Id like to try Nitro, but man are they expensive. And with Hevi-Shot, im still a little confused on which ones to get, considering ive heard theres certain ones NOT to get. Either way, id like to try the "heavier than lead" thing, and shoot #6's instead of #5's if i can get just as much or more KE with smaller pellets. Any ideas? Thanks guys

Or what about Winchester Xtended Range loads? Probably the same darn thing right?

Kdsberman - we covered this last year.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2725325&mpage=4&key=?

If you go with Hevishot avoid the 1.75 oz load. Go with the 2.25 oz load in 3.5" I believe that is the gold one. I would choose #6 shot.

Nitro's shoot best in my 835. I recommend the 3.5", 2.25 oz "Triplex" load of 4X5X7. 256 hits in the 10 circle at 40 yards. Very deadly. I don't care what they cost because I don't plan on shooting more than 4 of them.

Now that gas is less than $2.00 per gallonwhy don't you take the money are saving and go get you some Nitros and be done with it?