HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jury awards 157 million in treestand death
Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
mahoningbuck
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

Lawyers and the public driving another company out. Yes, I know a man died but when does the madness end........lawyers and judges make a living off of sueing companies and their own state for that matter. All congressman, lawyers, and judges should be looked at for treason and if found guilty shot on the spot. I am sick of these guys KILLING our country.
There is a GREAT element of truth to THIS, that many lawyers would not want the general public to know!!!!! The LEGAL system is their CASH-COW!!!! And our (the general public's) money pit!!!!

Keep in mind a couple of things.....

In the lawsuit, Carol Simonton requested $6,000 for funeral expenses, which can be reimbursed under Indiana’s wrongful death act. The complaint also sought $1.5 million in lifetime lost wages, which Phelps said was reached by figuring Timothy Simonton’s annual wages of $50,000 for 30 years.
The woman was his MOTHER, not his wife, and she was seeking ONE-HUNDREDTH of the amount awarded. Who is to say he was likely to live another 30yrs, and if he did, how sure could they be he'd have had another 30yrs. to work??? Also keep in mind that LAWYERS contingency fee is likely ~30% maybe more, therefore some LAWYERS are making BIG $$$$$$$ for this lawsuit. We're talking MILLIONS made on ONE LAWSUIT, it likely takes most of us here 10-20yrs to make $1 Million dollars, and these lawyers, even if there were 10 of them each would have made well over $1million dollars for this ONE suit!!!! [:@]
Welcome to the great awakening my friend. They pad their pockets and we as consumers and tax payers pay more. The legal system both federal and state is a cash cow for these individuals not to mention the people who lost their job over this suit. Most people say "Sue them for all they are worth!" but cry when their rates go up for insurance and goods. Hum......strange corralation?