Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jury awards 157 million in treestand death >

Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Default Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Ole Man treestands and they didn't show up for court.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1858791~Jury_awards__157_million_in_tree_stand_dea th.html

http://www.indy.com/posts/jury-award...ee-stand-death
Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Lawyers and the public driving another company out. Yes, I know a man died but when does the madness end........lawyers and judges make a living off of sueing companies and their own state for that matter. All congressman, lawyers, and judges should be looked at for treason and if found guilty shot on the spot. I am sick of these guys KILLING our country.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Must be an Ol' Man fan.....

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

Lawyers and the public driving another company out. Yes, I know a man died but when does the madness end........lawyers and judges make a living off of sueing companies and their own state for that matter. All congressman, lawyers, and judges should be looked at for treason and if found guilty shot on the spot. I am sick of these guys KILLING our country.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sorry the guy died but I have to say I'm curious. Was he wearing a harness? Its says he was found hanging, but by what? I wonder if it was a belt rather than a full body harness. Not that that would excuse Ol' Man from liability but the guy might be alive today.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

oops double post
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

so basically what this says, is that if anything manufactured fails do to the manufacturers fault, it should be worth $157,000,000.00 for causing a death. sry for him
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm always baffled by these figures. How did they arrive at 57 million for the amount?? Pisses me off too. The guy fell, no one from Ol Man forced him to get up into that tree. It is a terrible shame that he was killed, but at the same time, How responsible is the company?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

There is a GREAT element of truth to THIS, that many lawyers would not want the general public to know!!!!! The LEGAL system is their CASH-COW!!!! And our (the general public's) money pit!!!!

Keep in mind a couple of things.....

In the lawsuit, Carol Simonton requested $6,000 for funeral expenses, which can be reimbursed under Indiana’s wrongful death act. The complaint also sought $1.5 million in lifetime lost wages, which Phelps said was reached by figuring Timothy Simonton’s annual wages of $50,000 for 30 years.
The woman was his MOTHER, not his wife, and she was seeking ONE-HUNDREDTH of the amount awarded. Who is to say he was likely to live another 30yrs, and if he did, how sure could they be he'd have had another 30yrs. to work??? Also keep in mind that LAWYERS contingency fee is likely ~30% maybe more, therefore some LAWYERS are making BIG $$$$$$$ for this lawsuit. We're talking MILLIONS made on ONE LAWSUIT, it likely takes most of us here 10-20yrs to make $1 Million dollars, and these lawyers, even if there were 10 of them each would have made well over $1million dollars for this ONE suit!!!! [:@]

What I know about treestand accidents.....MOST are the result of misuse or lack of safety equipment or appropriate use of it. WE all are taking a risk anytime we climb a tree with this type of equipment, if you do NOT REALIZE that then you are a very ignorant and unaware person. I climbed trees with a chainsaw using Klein Spikes for a couple years, if I'd not used my safety appropriately, or not locked the chain when not in use, I'd have been misusing the equipment, and putting my life at risk, different but alike, if I misuse a treestand, such as replace vital parts (as I know a friend who did) I may be at risk of falling (as he did) but the fault lies in ME personally not the company who made the product. ANY PRODUCT CAN and WILL FAIL at some point in time, that is a matter of fact, whether it's the axle on my truck or a brake caliber, at some point they will fail if used long enough, treestands are no different!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

As much as I feel the monetary award is over blown, if you manufacture a product for the public use then you have the responsibility to produce a reasonably safe product.
Since we don't know the details that the jury heard I would guess that the choice of financial gain over personal safety was the determining factor in this settlement.
And since the defendants didn't show up I'm guessing the money will never be seen.You can't get blood from a rock.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way this can be right, or legal.

How to you request 1.5 million plus funeral expenses. Then have your attorney throw an off the cuff number at the jury before they deliberate, and have the jury come back and award $157 million. $1.5 million may well be enough to put old man under, depending on their insurance coverage and what TMA will do for them..... but $157 million.... wow.... that would absolutely sink almost any outdoor company.

Quick Reply: Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.