HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:23 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

Very happy to here from you Chap. I have read some of your stuff on other threads. I have come to the conclusion that the Barnes do fit all my needs. Now I just have to workthem intomy budget so I can shoot them at the range. They are pretty spendy. [:@]$$$$$[:@]Ishoot once a week as long as I dont get a honey-do list and weather conditions permit. Thanks for the advice.
I guess if you can affort it the Barnes would be best, but I was speaking about hunting performance, not paper punching. See this group that I shot the 2nd time I shot my Savage:

I had never shot that good before in my life and I have never shot that well since. I would shoot SW for plinking and then about 2 months before hunting season switch over to the Barnes T-EZ. That is just me being frugal. Chap

PS I went with the Parker Ballistic Extreme last year, since I shot this group and expansion was a lot better. I like that bullet, shot 8 deer with it, most were boom flops or dead in 20 yards. I did have one fragment on a quarting to shoulder shot, so I switched to Barnes Origonals---Very tough bullet and the .290 BC is better than the SW. They are a bit too tough for deer however. Elk I would say perfect. I think I shot 6 or 7 deer this year with that bullet and most were dead in 20 or 30 yards, several boom flops, I did have one 30 yard shot that didn't expand much--that is what I mean too tough. So this next year I am shooting 300g Barnes TSX 45/70 bullet Flat Noseat about 2000 fps with 44 or 45g of 5744 or 55 or so of 4198 in my Savage. All of these are shot with a CR sabot. The TSX has a huge hollow point like a Barnes MZ. Chap