Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet? >

Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

Im sure I can get a few packages of Barnes to hunt with. I can zero at 100yds with those and then stow them away for hunting then just shoot SSTs at the range. Im sure I canadjust for the different bullets without much trouble.
I live in Lake Tahoe CA. I will be hunting the Sierras. The Condor Range is way south of me. Best I can make out is the Condor Range is the only place that ya cant use lead. I will be going after Mulies & Blacktail. Mulies preferably. I am thinking about just buying bulk .45 solid copper hollow point bullets & a bag of sabots and do some sperimentin. A little hot glue or like in the nose and see what happens. What do you guys know about the Dead Centers?
The dead center are pure lead, over 1900-2000 fps the tend to not shoot that well. They did not shoot that well in my Omega, http://www.the-gleasons.com/DeadCenter340g.htm
The are expensive and hard to get, but Cabelas now sells them as their brand, that makes it a lot better. They are from Canada, so buying them direct is not an option. I think you need a jacketed bullet or an all copper to get your 200 yard shots. If you buy a Savage for about $500, here is mine:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

you can get to 300 yards with SW, T-EZ orBarnes Origonals, you just need to know the ballistics of your bullet. Lots of guys are shooting 300 yards with 4198 and Barnes Origonals in the mid West (long/wide bean and corn fields)--sight in dead on at 200 and top of back for 300 yard shot--lots of practice to get to 300, 200 is very easly with almost any inline now. You should also consider a ShockWave 200g for long distances.If they are accurate inyour gun,many have had good performance from them.

When I bought my Savage I bought the following bullets and tested:
SW 300g
Barnes TMZ 290g
harvester PT Gold 300g
Knight Ultimate Slam (really a Barnes Spitfire)
Parker Ballistic Extreme 275g
Hornady SST 300g

The best was the SW. Next best was the Parker BE. You have to experiment a bit. What rifle are you shooting and what powder? What Scope? What magnification? What rings?

Chap
Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

DEAD CENTERS are100% lead bullets ..i have shot deer with them ,used the 300gr. bullets a bit better than the HORNADY SST for deer ..if u hunt in cold temperature with the DEAD CENTERS but had ur ML sighted in when the temperature was hot ,u are in for a big surprize ..i was dead on at 100yds. in the summer ,went back in the fall temperature was in the low 40s and could not touch the bulls-eye at 100yds. the sabot does not expand enough in cold weather [i presume] soooo i am back with the BARNES ..
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

The are expensive and hard to get, but Cabelas now sells them as their brand, that makes it a lot better. They are from Canada, so buying them direct is not an option.
Why not just call them at the number on their website and order them? It makes no difference that they are from Canada, direct is the only way I have ever ordered them.

Also consider the new Hornady FTX (flex-tip) bullets. I am just starting to test them but if my initial results pan out they may be the best new bullet series in years.

FWIW I don't think you'll have penetration issues with most of the bullets out there, certainly not an SST/SW. I don't find or hear others finding many that don't blow through both sides. Then again, short of a Powerbelt with too much powder I can't say there is any other bullet that has issues blowing through a broadside deer either.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

i started using 250g. super glide shockwaves this year with 130g 777 loose and had great performance on deer.2 were bang flops,1 was a running shot at 40yds. broadside,bullet took out lungs and clipped top of heart.that one ran about 60yds.it took about 30yds. for blood,it looked like it was sprayed from a hose!i am very happy with sst/shockwaves as a hunting bullet. karl
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I really like the 200g ShockWaves/SST's! They work excellent from 1900-2450fps

90-130g of BH209 in my 45cal Disc Elite, and it's "Lights Out" for the 5 deer I shot with them this year
Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't over look the Speer Gold Dots in MMP EZ sabots both bought in buld. Will bring down your per shot cost and they work very well on deer.

Al
Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a T/C Omega Z5 .50, 28"bbl, 1-28" twist. No scope...Williams peep, I like the BH209 and am going to stick with it. I am using the Federal 209 primers but am going to purchase a .25acp breech plug for S&Gs and give it a whirl. I know Western Powders doesnt recomend it but I have read that it does just fine on the BH and less fouling in the flash hole. Barnes Spitfire is going to be my hunting round for sure. When I go flyfishing, I dont use lead to nymph with so why would I use lead to hunt with. I will just shoot the least expencivebullet that my Omega likes at the range and by the time hunting season comes around I should have a few hundred rounds through my Omega and it will become an extension of my body. What will it take to zero the Barnes before hunting? 5-10 rounds maybe. I was going to do aWyoming Hunt but cant get the time off work before 3/15.....oh well, paper piercing I go. I have 5 - 1 gallon water jugs saved up for range day. Idoubt I will take a 200yd shot with my ML. But, if the perfect buck goes broadside on me at 200yds, perfect weather conditions, I want to be able to take a shot in confidence. I have been shooting for a long time and I understand trajectory, bullet drop and windage.ML is way different than a cartridged rifle. I also know the importance of a well placed shot. Ihave never wounded a deer and I dont plan on starting this year. The weather is sposed to clear by this weekend so.....I get my range day. Who knows what I will settle with for paper punching. Might just cast my own and recycle....let the fun begin.