HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:59 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shockwave made by Hornady? Barnes a better bullet?

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

I have several questions about the various bullet and sabot combos out there. I was just informed on a different website that the T/C Shockwave is made by Hornady and is basicly the same bullet as the HornadySST. It was also sugested that I check out the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ. The barnes is an all copper bullet and the Shockwaves & Hornadys are copper jacketed over lead. So, for a 250gr. bullet is the Barnes longer to make up for the lack of dencity that the copper has? I couldnt find any specs on it. The Barns are quite $$$$$ so is it that much better of a bullet or is copper that much more by the pound than lead? I also live in CA and the DFG Handbook has some very vague and confusing restrictions on the use of lead bullets. So do I HAVE to use the Barnes in CA? If anybody can shed a bit of light on these subjects, it would be very helpfull.
Since your hunting in CA, try the Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ, not the TMZ, the TEZ is a flatbased bullet which shoot better in most guns. If it shoots accurate for you, I would go with that, since it is performance on game that you need. That said, however the SW is one accurate bullet, the 300g is better than the 250g SW, which has fragmentation issues and no expansion issues. Not every time, but there have been reports of fragmentation and lost game and long blood trails (400 yards, etc). Which is better for accuracy, I am going to have to say the SW, for Termianl performance I am going to have to say the Barnes T-EZ, for expansion I woudl sayBarnes.For penetration I am going to sayBarnes, since it almost always shoots thru to givegood blood trails. So which is better? the one that shoots the tightest group with the most consistencyin your rifle. If either bullet will NOT hold a 3" or smaller group in your MLer then look for another bullet--I like 5 shot groups myself.
Best Wishes,
Chap