HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sighting in the Nikon Omega
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Sighting in the Nikon Omega

It was a horrible day for shooting. Still it was a worse day, sitting in the house looking at the Genesis with the Nikon Omega scope sitting there on it. So I decided to brave the elements and see how good a mounting job I did.

It was snowing. It was 28 degrees above (so it was not cold). Overcast skies and no wind to speak of. I set the target at 25 yards and fired two shots. I was using 2 50 gr Pyrodex RS pellets and a 200 grain Shockwave .40 caliber bullets. I did spit patch between shots.

As you can see I packaged taped the target and with a blue marker drew an X over the old hits. The first two out of the Genesis were one hole basically. And the clean barrel hit exactly where the swabbed barrel did. I never even popped a primer to start all this out.

I then made an adjustment and fired 3&4 and that is where I wanted them to hit at 25 yards. So I then moved the target all the way back through the snow to 63 yards. I then shot one more 200 gr Shockwave and it hit next to the bull directly under the other hits. Look how small a hole that 200 grain shockwave makes compared to the Barnes Expanders.

I spit patched the barrel and shot five of the Barnes Expanders using two 50 grain Pyrodex RS pellets. That group was pretty good. They do hit lower then the Shockwaves. I can only figure its the weight and the caliber difference. I then had to test Murphy and shot #6 and as you can see, blew the group. That was all the Barnes I had brought with me.

So I loaded 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and 200 grain Shockwaves and shot for the lower right bulls eye. There were hits in that bull before but they are marked. The 100 grains of loose RS did real well with them Shockwaves.

So I upped the charge to 110 and shot for the upper right bull. Again, the rifle did real well. I had to change to my third spit patch of the day, as the rifle was getting hard to load.

I then decided to up to 120 grains. I shot the first two that actually touched. I then wanted to see if I could thread the third into the bull, and as usual did not make it. Over all that 120 grains of loose powder shows some promise.

Over all this Nikon Omega is a nice scope. Very clear. Great eye relief. Gathers light real well. And the adjustments are exact, and easy to move without tools. I really like the scope.