HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Time of day
Thread: Time of day
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 04:57 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Time of day

ive killed em from fly down to about 0930 or so...

i will be honest though, i used to not hunt much past 10...heck, i still dont do it all the time...depends where im hunting...ive noticed around home, my farmland birds arent very active past 9am..they hit the fields and thats that...and yes they stay out there all day...

if im in big woods i can hunt clear till noon and enjoy the day and usually strike up a bird...

guess i killed 2 right off the roost...1 i got SUPER lucky and slipped practically right under a couple gobblers...the foliage was much thicker than anywhere else i seen that spring and i had no idea they were RIGHT there till i setup and did some tree yelps and a flydown and looked up and there they were...gobbling going nuts...i have NO idea why it worked out...but they both pitched right down to me...no decoy...calling to them and could see them...it should have never worked...but i wont complain! skipped school that day and made it home before mom left for work and before the bus even came

the other i worked right off the roost...hen brought him in strutting...think it was 645 or so...

all depends on the location and the birds...im working on the patience thing and staying out clear till noon(quitting time in PA) just found it to be a waste of time when im home on farmland...actually dislike hunting birds at home for the most part...not into hunting fields...just me...