HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - varmint rifle help
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: varmint rifle help

This what I'm gonna take to the field this year.......should be bad medicine for groundhogs and coyotes. I just picked this combo up from "Rick James" and he wasn't kidding when he said it's the most accurate rifle he's ever shot.

This is a Savage 10FP tactical carbine. It has a heavy 20" bull barrel in .223 and seems to LOVE Black Hills 60gr V-Max with it's fast 1-9" twist.
The tactical version of the Accutrigger is the best I've shot, breaks like glass with no creep, no overtravel no anything. I haven't measured the weight but I'd guess 1.5-2lbs tops?

I just had it at the range today and it shoots like the last picture all day long and from the bi-pod no less! Combined with the ballistics chart I have for this barrel and load out to 500 yards? It's gonna flip some fur. [:-]
I'm glad it shoots so well without having to drop $600-800 on a VXIII to get the accuracy out of it. Even with the Swift Premier 4.5-14 X44AO scope and factory tupperware stock I don't know if I can physically shoot better than it does as is?

100 yards off the bi-pod all day long.