HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Far from reality hunting....
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 AM
dtk913
Fork Horn

Default RE: Far from reality hunting....

I think the reality of hunting is relative. Some guys hunt in areas where seeing/shooting a Pand Y buck is probably not realistic, but they still hunt because "you just never know" or they just love to hunt. This is their reality. On the other hand there are guys who hunt areas that are loaded with big bucks and the chances of shooting one is pretty good. They know they are going to see P and Y bucks, but the might get a crack at a Booner. This is their reality.

I know this because I have lived it. I grew up in SW Wisconsin and hunted all the time. Guys shoot some good deer around their, but I never had any access to ground that would offer that chance. But for the last15 years I have been hunting in Southern Iowa. Now when I go hunting I Know that at any second I may turn around and see an absolute giant standing there. I know this because I have seen them, and a lot of them. This is reality for me.

I know guys that live in areas that are notthe most condusive to shooting big bucks, but they still give it their best and a lot of years they get it done. I also know guys around here that are pathetic hunters and shoot some pretty good bucks, because of the land they hunt on. It doesn't happen every year for them though because you still have to be a good hunter to put one down every year no matter where you hunt.

After saying all this I still say the quality of the hunter is way more important than the quality of the land. A good hunter will find a way to get it done. If they also have a good piece of land then it will just happen on a more regular basis.

Dan