HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wisconsin Hunters (next year)
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 AM
wis_bow_huntr
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wisconsin Hunters (next year)

Well seeing that I have hunted hard every year for the last 20 years, Ill admit, that I have seen some pretty crappy season but nothing as bad as the last two years. My father in law said the last two years were the worst hes seen in over 40 years. I have to agree with him. No more than 3-5 years ago it was nothing to drive past our property and count20-40 deer in one field. And the buck to doe ratio was great. Now were excited to 3-10 deer at a time. And most of which are does and yearlings. We do not hunt our property during the HRZ hunts. So this may count as part of why we have so many does. But even at the opening of bow season I have seen several very mature bucks, then as the days go by the sightings dwindledof all deer. Just like they fell off the face of the earth. Nothing has changed on our property, they have great cover, water handy 365 days a year, food sources available just about all year round. Theres no reason the deer should have disapeared. The DNR needs to get their heads out of the butts and see whats really going on and listen the to hunters that are out there. They need to drop all the EAB and Tzone crap and go back to the way it was. Buck or doe with archery and buck only with rifle. If you want an extra tag you have to buy it. And I think they should charge at least $15.00-$20.00 per extran antlerless tag. I know other factors play a part in the low deer numbers such as 2 years of extreme hard winters back to back, but this is getting real old real fast. I may have to lock up all 300 acres and close it for hunting for the next 2-4 years and hunt county land, which Im not about to do. Id hang it up completely if i had to hunt county land for the next 2-4 years. I have prime hunting land and its sad that i cant even hunt it happily anymore.