HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How sad hunting is becoming...
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
pick00l
Fork Horn

Default RE: How sad hunting is becoming...

- Decreasing hunter numbers
- Archery Vs. Cross bow Vs. Rifle
- Group Vs. Lone hunters
- AR's Vs. No restrictions
- Trophy Hunters Vs. Everyone
- Seeing 20 deer Vs. seeing 2-3
- Private Vs. Public land

All of the points mentioned by previous posters are valid. I believe one of the reasons is because hunting in any form is so personal. Each of us have our own definition as to what hunting is. Whenever you have different definitions of something you will have this. It just means we are all playing by a slightly different set of rules or standards. Not a great thing but, it is what it is at this point.

I have felt for a long time now that the decline of hunter numbers is tied very closely to the decline of the middle class of America. As the middle class goes, so does hunting. Lets face it, how many board meetings are topics of hunting and fishing coming up (unless its your industry)? I have worked at the same place since 2000 and I can count on my hands how many people have hunted that I a have ran into. Sure I get lots of, when I was 13 I hunted twice.... That is not an active hunter nor do folks like that encourage hunting for our sport.

I don't think there is magic bullet (bad pun intended) to correct our lower hunter numbers. I see and hear a lot of excuses though. Ex. Lack of hunting land, lack of deer etc. I feel these are growing problems however, are blown out of proportion. Because you had a farm to hunt last year and no longer can hunt it this year does not mean you stop hunting. Most states offer plenty of land to hunt publicly and each year are doing more and more. Public land is SAFE. So the excuse of needing a safe place to hunt is not valid. As long as you get used to seeing other hunters now and again, public land offers great opportunity.

This post will be too long if I go into all my opinions so I will just hit one more.

Bow hunters against all other hunters. I believe an archery hunter feels so passionate about his or her sport that this can be taken the wrong way by other sportsman. Archery hunters know that deer are easier to hunt when less pressured (Hence not liking other people in the woods when they are) and want to hunt deer in a less stress environment. Attempting to pattern animals is tough to do. Even harder when other hunters are in the woods. I know I feel strongly about this as my odds go down in archery when the public hands start seeing small game, turkey, doe season, duck season, etc hunters in the area as well. To me, it is not that the hunt is ruined, just the feeling of being alone is gone. That crack of a branch should be a deer but, it is another hunter.. darn! The point here for me is, most archery hunters don't dislike other hunters or other types of hunting, we are just extra sensitive to loads of people in the woods interrupting an already hard hunting situation. To me, it boils down to just that.

The debate of cross bows Vs. other bow hunting. Yes, I feel like a Xbow is not as hard to use than a other types of bows. I don't have a lot of experience with them but, an Xbow is point and shoot. Traditional and compound bows are not. I'm not saying Xbows should not be legal, not saying folks who hunt with them are less skilled or lazy. They are just not my bag of tea. I enjoy the challenge of a compound. Someone else may enjoy the challenge of the Xbow. Also, unless I see real evidence, I don't buy into the fact that lots of deer will be injured etc. I believe that most hunters are ethical. That being said, most hunters will ensure their Xbow skills match what is needed in the field to take game and not wound animals.

I do feel hunters need to band together. We need to act a one community and help in educating our youth. Hunting is no longer about having to put food on the table. Hunting is not about the right to bear arms. I do not believe hunting is all about population control either (I do believe it plays a part in some areas more than others). Hunting for most is about the enjoyment of hunting itself. Learning about the woods, nature, conservation, and changes in the environment, experience with parents, family, friends, strategic thinking, dedication, passion, and above all things Integrity.

We are loosing the battle in hunter numbers. Unless you have experienced hunting personally, you can not understand it and it is hard to talk openly about it. We can not expect a teacher who has never hunted to encourage hunting or fishing. Kids not being interested in hunting and fishing activities I believe are a direct result of their own family members. Not video games or other sports. Growing up, I was involved in almost all sports at a very young age and into college. At the same time I was hunting and fishing. I spent days in front of the TV playing video games. Heck.. we even had duck hunt! My friends did not hunt nor understood it. The entire time my family helped me understand that there was more to hunting and fishing than killing. It was about everything else. The kill was the last and smallest piece of the entire experience.

I realized this post is a bit long. Just my passion pouring through on a Monday morning. I love hunting, fishing, and share it with as many people as I can everyday. This not always easy.

I'll ask every hunter on this board. How many people have you introduced hunting to this year that have never hunted before? We should all try to introduce someone into the sport once a year. Even if they will never hunt but, it will give them awareness of what we do and how much we care. They will likely talk about it to other people in a positive light.. We will start reversing the trend! I truly believe this.

I introduced a family friend to the sport last year and now he is a hunting buddy for life. He also is over 30 plus years of age and never stepped into the woods before last year. So excited to see him learning etc.