HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which gun should I use?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
stancel
Spike

Default RE: Which gun should I use?

ORIGINAL: der Teufel

ORIGINAL: stancel

That being said, when open gun season starts that marks the end of my ear shots. I always aim for the area just above where the front leg meets the body.
This is my strategy. Here's one I shot last summer, you can see the entry point just aft of the LF shoulder. I aimed just slightly behind the shoulder so as not to mess up any more meat than necessary. (I'm hoping the photo comes thru, I haven't tried posting a pic B4)

I estimated this one at roughly 150-160 pounds. It was pretty tough eating, so most of it went into a pressure cooker for at least 45 minutes. It came out falling apart like pulled pork, and we ate it with a fork.

I shot a 75-80 pound sow in November. I hit the front leg and completely broke the upper bone. The bullet then pierced the heart and exited right at the sternum, making a hole about the size of a 50-cent piece. It left a trail an 8-year-old could have followed, which was good because it still ran over 200 yards before it dropped.

Nice sow. They usually have a little more fat than the boars which is nice when making sausage. Nice kill man.!!