Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Which gun should I use?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which gun should I use?

If they are out of controll.........Blame your state and not the hogs...

Exactly. The game commissions of most states areterrifiedof the thought of folks being allowed to hunt hogs every day of the year with center fire rifles. Southern OK isover run with hogs and the state will not let us hunthogs at night.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: stancel

I hear what you are saying, but I was taught to have too much respect for wildlife to kill something and leave it laying there for the buzzards. Mother earth always rights itself if you just give her a chance.

Stan
I hear what you're saying Stan, but in FL hogs are not considered a game animal. Only on Wildlife Management Areasin hunting seasons..
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stancel

I hear what you are saying, but I was taught to have too much respect for wildlife to kill something and leave it laying there for the buzzards. Mother earth always rights itself if you just give her a chance.
I'm very sympathetic to this philosophy, but one must realize the economic impact that hogs have in an agricultural environment. Where I hunt I go out of my way to talk to the neighbors and stay on good terms with them. They are delighted that I'm hunting hogs in the area (not that they've necessarily offered to let me on their land, they figure I can do just as much damage to the hog population on my friend's property). When I tell them I shot one but couldn't find it, they tell me "That's okay, hopefully it's one less hog in the area. Shoot at every one you see, no matter what the distance!" We set up a big trap once, and I was joking with a neighbor that, with my luck "I'll show up in the morning and there will be fifteen hogs in the trap. Then what will I do?" The neighbor responded immediately "Well, the first thing is -- you don't let any of them out alive!"

I still don't take the long shots, and my goal is that every hog at which I shoot ends up in my freezer. Still, I can appreciate the sentiment that, to a farmer or rancher, wild hogs are basically the equivalent of large rats -- but they're tasty ...

Back on topic: The original subject was what weapon to use when hunting hogs. I agree with the answers to date. Anything in the 30-caliber range should be fine. I use a British .303 enfield, which is roughly equivalent to a 30-06. With a 150 grain bullet, I have yet to have a shot that didn't exit.

der Teufel
--