HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - high point firearms
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 AM
country1
Typical Buck

Default RE: high point firearms

Go toyour localrange and talk to the RO. See if they are willing for you to try different calibers from different manufacturers. I strongly suggest that you start out with a 22LR. I have witnessed numerous public shooters at my club who developed bad shooting habits because they did not start with a 22LR. You will save the cost of a 22LR in the ammo and have amuch better chance of developingproper shooting form if you shoot a low recoil gun while learning the basics and fundamentals. Alsocheck the NRA website to see ifthe NRA Basic Pistol course is available in your area.

When you do buy a center fire handgun, buy one that is well built. If it is a 9mm make sure it is approved for at least +P ( +P+ is even better ). I would also suggest staying away from a handgun with an internal safetylocking device. At our club we have had two S&W M&P in .40 and one Taurus 24/7 in .40 where the internal safety locking device failed. This resulted with a live round in the chamber and no way ofremoving the live round without breaking the firearm.

For a lower priced gun, I would suggest a Springfield XD or a Ruger. If this gun is going to be used for SD, I personally would not choose one that had a magazine disconnect (check with your local gun laws). It should also be at least a 9mm (approved for +P or better yet +P+ ammo). A 40 or 45ACP would be better. I would stay away from the 45 GAP, as the ammo is harder to find and also higher in price. If you decide to go with a revolver, go with a 357 Mag with at least a 3 inch barrel (4 inch barrel is great for SD).