HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Desert Stryker..
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Desert Stryker..

ORIGINAL: Wyvern Crossbow

"The fact that they do not personally sell an arrow at that weight does not really matter"

Yes, it does...I never said they would not shoot what they claim with the weight arrow and string upgrade. My issue is that the little asterix and the fact that you cant buy the components from the factory is an issue. If you went to buy a car that claimed 400HP and you found out that the only way to achieve that is to go to a speed shop and add on a bunch of aftermarket parts you would be pretty ticked. That is the issue here..............................

Wyvern

Sorry that your so ticked off about that they do sell a heavier arrow. An arrow that is safer for the shooter and the equipment. Not only that, but it is also more quiet.

Lets go to your anoligy of the car ............ Lets say the manufacture listed it's speed from 0-60 MPH was 3.5 seconds but they did their tests with RACING SLICKS but they sold the car with QUALITY ROAD SPORTTIRES. Everyone knows that the racing slicks will out preform the Road tires so the purchaser will not get from 0-60 in the 3.5 seconds. Does this mean that all vehical manufactures are misleading when they post their speed 0-60 ratios (They probually do not use slicks in their tests, but they will be tires which are not sold with the vehical). This comparison is alot closer to what is happening with the crossbow here then your 400HP as the horse power is there no matter what arrow you use just not the speed.

I guess you do not understand what Excalibur is about. They build crossbows for hunters by hunters. They hunt themselves so they understand that DEPENDABILITY is MOST IMPORTANT and therefore they sell their packages to reflect that. The speed they show or list is what the bow can get under normal shooting or usage without going below the minimal arrow weight. To me, there is nothing wrong with that no matter who company is. What does bother me is when a company lists a speed that was achived with an arrow below min. arrow weight, that is misleading if not fraud. The heavier arrow will quiet the bow. If the company was to list both the arrow speeds and noise level are they susposed to list the fastest speeds possible and the quietest level achived. If so, they will never achive both in the same setup as the heavier arrow will be slower, but more quiet.

Now strings can vary to a great degree. I am not sure how many Excalibur sells anymore but they have always said that the Dacron was again more quiet and less stressful on the bow. Also using the Dacron was more forgiving with new shooters with mistakes like dry fires and some older bows can't shoot newer strings (carved tips). What Excalibur sells in their packages is not to misslead the customer, but to lead them in a dirrection which is more dependable for the Equipment. The more dependable the product, the better not only Exclibur will look, but the whole crossbow world. When I first got into crossbows, the best, most reliable bow on the market was a Astro Daco and by todays standards a 12 pound trigger and awkward safety (had to push in while pulling the trigger) ........ well lets just leave that at that ........ Companies like Excalibur and Ten Point had a major battle to improve the image of crossbows as dependable accurate hunting equipment. I think that they have done a great job.