HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Desert Stryker..
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Desert Stryker..

ORIGINAL: Wyvern Crossbow

I think it's important to the image to Excalibur that they not miss lead hunters or shooters and I have never known them to miss lead customers with speeds that can't be obtained with normal hunting arrows. Some compamies use arrows that you can't hunt with or shoot on a regular basis to get their speeds, not Excalibur.
I hate to say it, but you are wrong here...Excal does not make, or sell a 350grain arrow. You cannot buy their bow, and their arrows, and achieve their "advertized" speeds. Will they get those speeds? yes, but I have to explain to my customers that the "305fps" listed on a Pheonix will really be 285ish with a "hunting weight arrow" even if they buy a "right stuff" package and use an "excalibur" arrow. I just pulled out another manufactures bow and came within 6fps of advertized speed with a slightly heavier than factory arrow. You cannot do that with an Excal. Though a great bow with many fine features and a great performer, their advertising is deceptive to the novice archer and TenPoint to be "competitive" did the same missleading advertising. I would sell more Excals and TenPoint recurves if the speeds listed could be achieved with the factory arrows and not some custom built arrow that is on the ragged edge of causing a dry fire...

Wyvern
I'm sure you know that this is common on many bows David and one should expect it. I am not saying it is right but compound bow manufactures do it as well. I don't want to use an IBO set up for hunting. The arrow would be to fragile, I would not have a rear peep or kisser button and I'd have to give up my serving and loop. I know it's an old discussion but all manufacturers should get their act together and agree on one MO. But is it going to happen? Not!
I got a 350 gr hunting arrow by taking a 340 Fatboy and cutting it down to 19", cutting my rear insert in half and then using Blazers. Does it shoot? You bet! Does it get 330 ft/sec? You bet! Did I get upset because I had to work to get the 350 gr arrow? No, because I've bought enough equipment that didn't acheive advertised speeds before these bows. I'm not disagreeing with you David, I'm agreeing with you but with qualification of my comment.