HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING??
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
rogerstv
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SCENTLOK, SCENTBLOKER CLOTHING??

I don't believe it works like they claim, but I am no expert. I feel there is a lot of hype added into the products. Activated carbon does absorb because it is widely used in the many environmental applications to remove contaminants from groundwater, drinking water, etc. Therefore, there is some truth behind the hype. But, can the activated carbon in the clothing be re-activated? If so, how long is it active? And, will it stay in the clothing after wearing, washing, and drying?

I wash myself and clothes in scent free soap. My clothes hang outside. I was still getting winded by deer all year. They didn't smell human just something they knew was different because they usually came closer to within 10 yards then split because they smelled something that wasn't there yesterday or the day before. I couldn't break the spell. Other years, I have had deer downwind without detecting anything - no scent blocker. Myself I am switching to baking soda. I think the "scent free" soap still has some smell whether it be some synthetic earth smell or whatever. I can smell it.

I have heard that Gore-Tex makes the best scent control clothing. It is hard to find and is the most expensive scent control gear on the market.

The deer in my woods rely mainly on their noses, then eyes, then ears. Being able to smell that well is truly a fascinating concept and not one that us humans can comprehend. Someone needs to do a scientific test and put this issue to bed once and for all.