HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling Tactics...scenario
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
TEmbry

Default RE: Calling Tactics...scenario

Pretty similar thoughts.

1. I personally either make a rather large loop based on where the birds usually head from roost and wait him out in that direction (takes alot of scouting to pattern birds well enough),or I head off trying to strike up another bird...if nothing pans out, Ill head back in that general area about 10 or 11 and try to rework him.

2. I shut up and wait. I hate calling very much in the first place, but these are situations I have either brought upon myself or witnessed others do in the past....Ive learned silence is golden in a LOT of situations....I wait that sucker out until he is long gone. I also LOVE Mohunters idea on the partner...we have done this before and killed a bird not 5 seconds after the setup...He was just over the hill from us, I got up and walked straight away and once about 50-60 yards back...I called again...and thats all it took, I watched as he stormed over the hillside to meet a swarm of lead from my buddy back at the original spot.

I used to have a problem with calling too much (as these scenarios depict), now I almost have a problem with not calling enough. Still working on that happy medium. Great answers you guys, keep em coming. 2 lunger nailed it on it being hard not to call back. I struggled with this in the past..if I got a gobble, it wasn't a game of get them in range..it was a game of seeing how many times I could get him to gobble to my call, then wonder why he never showed up. Live and learn I guess.