HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling Tactics...scenario
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
OntElk
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling Tactics...scenario

1. Well I don't think I would have played him that way on the limb but since that is what's laid out I'll stick with it. I would say the gig is over with this bird, for now. That hen has made sure of that. She picked you out and so there is no way she is drawing that gobbler over and why would he leave a live hen. Given this I have 2 things I'd do. First is go find another bird. Second is lie down and have a nap. If I am going to work this bird it's in 2 hours when he is done with that hen. If all goes well he dies somewhere around 10am or so. Why move on him when I know he has other eyes with him and I may just end up in the same scenario just in a different spot. The other reason is I didn't see the hen so maybe I didn't see the other gobblers. He may not be the one I kill at all so if I nap it's a light nap with myself in ready position (or tell the camermanto wake me if a bird comes [8D])

2. I go dead silent and wait. He's waiting for me and any amount of calling and he will get bored or bothered and leave. Doing nothing is more likely to get him to wander over. I don't risk moving. No reason to at this point. If he doesn't come and I see him walk off THEN I'll get up and make a move on this bird. If he really is alone in that feild he should be a dead bird. Silent treatment will probably kill him.