HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Design my hunting plot
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
petrey10
Fork Horn

Default RE: Design my hunting plot

well first let me ask what agricultural crops (if any) are available in your area. If it is wheat or turnips I would recommend staying away from planting them in your food plots. A big factor in how successful your food plot will be is the diversity it brings to the area. On this note I recommend staying with your clover field and would use Whitetail Institute's blends of clover as they have put lots of research into the best clover (highest protein, and stuff that will grow well in your area). If not much was left of your clover that must mean the deer were really eating it so maybe double the size. You want to give the deer as much quality food as you can. As for the other areas in there that you don't plant food plots try to put in some spots of switchgrass as this is prime area for bedding. You could even plant some on your route to the stand and then mow it before the season with a push mower to give you an easy, hiden entrance to the stand. I am in the process of planning my own food plots and huntings for next year and have been reading all I can at WHitetail Institutes online publications. They are great and informative!