HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mistakes I've made along the way
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mistakes I've made along the way

I would just like to remind everyone to take their arrows with them when they go hunting. Probably the biggest mistake one could make while going bowhunting.

I was outside practicing shooting before an afternoon hunt one day. I took my quiver off and layed it on the ground. I was out there flinging arrows and I got a phone call. I layed my bow on the front porch and went inside to answer the call. One thing led to another and I'm on the phone for a lot longer than I wanted to be.I finally get off the phone and now I'm in a hurry to get to the woods. Throw my camo on, grab my bow from the front porch, jump in my truck and off I go.

I get to my land and decide I still have time to make it to "the far stand". So I get out of the truck, spray down, grab my bow and haul my butt deep into the woods. I finally make it out to my stand and get settled in. Things are feeling good. Nice cool calm night and you just feel the woods are alive. I go to nock an arrow and............................ I don't have any [8D]. I left my quiver laying on the ground with my hunting arrows where I was practicing. After calling myself every name in the book I contemplated whether or not I really wanted to sit there with no arrows. The thought of what could happen gave me the heebie geebies. However I prepared myself for the fact that a 150" 12 pointer could stand broadside from me at 18 yards and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I was allright with that so I stuck it out and sat there. Tough choice I gotta tell ya. Well fortunately nothing like that happened.

So...... moral of the story.......mistakes I've learned along the way? Always remember to bring along your arrows.