Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ? >

single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Banned

Default single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

anyone who knows me knows I am never satisifed with my equipment and thats a good thing and a bad I imagine

anyway, this year I beefed up to 680 grains, and I honestly believe that one thing (well, it was actually 2 things, going more FOC and a heavier arrow combined) made all the difference in the world

I've read Ashby's reports, I believe the study's and I know single bevel's do pentrate better and they bust bones.

That said .... are any of ya'll switching to them ?

I had some Zwickey No Mercy heads and I could NOT get them scary sharp, and that negates the added % penetration I imagine.

What are ya'll's thought? Do you hunt double bevel or single? Why ?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

I use grizzlies. They area bear (pun intended) to get sharp though. I spend at least an hour on each head. Thinking of getting a wet grinder to get the initial angle correct. That is what eats up a good 80% of time. I use them mainly because of their ability to continue to turn though game. If you ever try one on a 3-d target you'll notice an "S" shaped entrance. When shooting though game, the hide on the exit tends to twist around the head leaving a much larger exit wound then entrance. It's been reported that this twisting action also occurs on soft tissue.

Be sure to get the helical correct for the bevel though. Grizzlies need RW helical. The bevel will actually help increase arrow spin though the air.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using the Outback Supreme Single Bevel for 2 years now and just love them.

They are as Bob said a pain to get razor sharp but thats because of the blade thickness .041 and hardness Rockwal 55 but once they are sharp they will stay that way for a long time.

Mine are still sharp after being shot into a Morrell yellow jacket 50 times.

Here is the entrance wound they make.

I even left Kent a couple to try out when I was out there a couple of weeks ago plus sent Rangeball one to test as well
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure what to think yet. My 125 grain 3 blade snuffers have done me very well, best blood trails I've ever seen In person and penetration has never been an Issue. I've heard good reports on these single bevel heads you speak of so I guess If problems arise from my snuffers maybe I'll look Into these single bevels also. My setup Isn't broke so there's no need to fix It just yet.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the design of the outback Kanga sent me so much that I ordered some in the weight I needed for my set up. I also ordered the sb broadheadpro from alaska bowhunting supply. The maker of the outbacks told me they come as a 30* bevel, so I hoped to take them down to the 25* of the broadheadpro. After hours on one side with little progress, I gave up and am still hunting with my woodsmans. The steel on these outbacks are HARD!

There was a thread going at tradgang where Doc Ashby jumped in and said he found the best possible way to file hard steel down to bevel quickly, and it was with the nicholson model 50-908 #20189 file-

A guy at tradgang found some in a store for cheap, and I bought one from him. This thing eats hard steel for breakfast. I've never seen a file work so quick and easy. I've not yet went to town with the outbacks on it, but a few passes showed me it certainly won't take long to get them sharp. I hope to after Christmas and use them then during our late archery season. I had an unsharpened woodsman that I tried on it, got it scary sharp in no time at all. Excellent file.

If you love hard steel but hate sharpening it, do yourself a favor and get one of these bad boys.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think I may get something like this in the near future to set the angle:

Look_Here

Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I've been using 2 blade magnus or zwicky for years with excellent results. I don't see myselfgoing away from something that works. Deer aren't thick skinned or heavy boned creatures, so it doesn't take much to put an arrowcompletely thruone, when the arrowis putwhere it needs tobe put. As for busting bone, that's not what archery equipment is designed to. I leave the bone busting detail to the muzzleloader and 400+ gr. conicals.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Schultzy and Chris W. ya'll aint never had a hit go bad ? never did you wish you had anothe extra 25% energy/momentum behind your broadheads or maybe another 12" penetration?

ever ?

wouldn't it be cool if NAP Thunderheads came out with a 150 grain, 2 blade, replaceable that was single bevel and had live .050 blades?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy and Chris W. ya'll aint never had a hit go bad ? never did you wish you had anothe extra 25% energy/momentum behind your broadheads or maybe another 12" penetration?

ever ?
To be honest Stealthy In 14 years hunting strictly with my recurve I haven't lost one animal yet. Every animal I've gotten has either had 2 holes or they've been complete pass throughs. Believe me, my times coming when I wound that 1st animal with my recurve or with another recurve If I decide to buy a different one. My arrows weigh out at 561 grains If your wondering and I was pulling 73lbs back at 28".

I wouldn't mind seeing my arrows a bit heavier and weigh out around 600 grains.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think people really need to use what works for them and what they are confident in. I was using stinger for a while and was having some penetration problems. Yes, dead is dead, but I still prefer passthroughs. Also had some problems with blood trails with two blade double bevels. Again, dead is dead, but...
Grizzly's seem to have the best of both worlds for me. Yes, shot placement is always key. But I still like pass throughs and blood on the ground.

Quick Reply: single bevel - do you believe ? are you buying ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.