HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 AM
BobCo19-65
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Well it would really depend on where you're talking about in Central NY. BUT, that said, this isn't Illinois or Iowa. It's not a balanced herd you're hunting. There are does everywhere and not that many bucks. The rut can be in full swing and you won't see a lot because they'll lock down with a handful and hide. I'd rather go prerut in such a case. The bucks can't find a mate, they're ready, they're trolling and they're looking and receptive to a grunt or two. You're not hunting Illinois, you're hunting NY and a different herd and balance. Yes the rut would be in your middle part of Nov. No, it's not necessarily the time for your best hunting. I'd be going for the last week in Oct as a time to hunt hard. Second choice, the week of the rut because of the full moon screwing you earlier in the month. Rules for one area don't hold true for another state.
I agree.

Also, I believe gun season starts early again next year. You may have to deal with that if you schedule some of the Nov dates.