Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt >

Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Next year im going away to hunt in centreal NY at a lodge my friend hunts, Right now all dates are available so i want to hunt as close to the "prime time rut" as possible, if you could choose 5 days in oct/november to hunt which 5 would it be?...
(keep in mind Nov. 3rd 2009 is the full moon, not sure if that will affect anyones opinion but just thought it could help a little)

I appreciate your opinions,I will probly choose the date based on the poll outcome so thnx in advanced
Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Without doubt the 11-15th. I'll be in IL that week if not the week after.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with whatever you decide. I wouldn't want you to base your dates on my opinions. Pre rut is good, rut is better and post rut is best as far as I am concerned though.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Without doubt the 11-15th. I'll be in IL that week if not the week after.
I totally agree with you Rob. Only I won't be in Il.[:'(]
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

That far north I would hit early November...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went with the last week in October...since that's the week I'll be in Illinois next year!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it would really depend on where you're talking about in Central NY. BUT, that said, this isn't Illinois or Iowa. It's not a balanced herd you're hunting. There are does everywhere and not that many bucks. The rut can be in full swing and you won't see a lot because they'll lock down with a handful and hide. I'd rather go prerut in such a case. The bucks can't find a mate, they're ready, they're trolling and they're looking and receptive to a grunt or two. You're not hunting Illinois, you're hunting NY and a different herd and balance. Yes the rut would be in your middle part of Nov. No, it's not necessarily the time for your best hunting. I'd be going for the last week in Oct as a time to hunt hard. Second choice, the week of the rut because of the full moon screwing you earlier in the month. Rules for one area don't hold true for another state.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never hunted that far north, I can only base my selection on my own experience. I prefer to hit the early part of the rut, not too early, but just before it opens wide open. The bucks are moving more, the does are ready just yet and thus it really frustrates the bucks and they move more. I chose the second week of Novfor that fact. Lots of deer movement, focusing on main travel corridors between food and bedding for those cruising bucks.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

see when the fall equinox is, find the following full moon and then go with the week after that
Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted Nov. 1-5.

The full moon falls on the 2nd, and I will be planning my vacation right around this time period next year. But then again I hunt in Illinois, and can't really tell what it is like to be up that far north and in a complete different part of the country.

Quick Reply: Help me choose which 5 days to book my hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.