HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you Butcher your own Meat
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
YooperMike
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Butchering Meat ___Redo

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: YooperMike
If I get the blowsh!ts from it,its my own fault!

I just started processing my own deer last year, and I'm getting prettygood at it. I did four last year, and I've already done six this year. I started doing it to save money, and I've already paid for my processing equipment several times over.

I like the idea of de-boning the entire deer without cutting any bonesat all. You end up with smaller steaks that way, but it beats bitinginto a steak from a processor and having your teeth crunch into bone bits from a saw.[:@]
Everything I do is bone-free. Even with the hind quarters you can de-bone them without harming any meat. I agree with you on the bone dust too. Meat processors aren't known for being the most spendy people, so you know that blade is REALLY dull after seeing a few deer, and therby just kind of pulverizing the bone instead of actually cutting it. Nothing to worry about when doing your own. My kitchen-aid does a great job grinding it, and the sausage stuffer works very well too. Saturday I'm doing some sausage with my doe from MI, and also going to smoke two hind quarter roasts. I think I'm going to do one for sliced sandwiches and the other like a pulled beef type deal for tacos. Smoke it for a couple hours alone, then put in a foil pan with onions and some beef broth, let it go another couple hours until shred-able, makes some damn fine meats!