HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mouth Calling
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
vmartin
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mouth Calling

one thing that could help is what time of the spring season you are hunting. toms are more easily called in later in the season, mid may things start to really get heated up, this depends heavily on how pressured the turkeys are. also the time of day helps, as the day wears on more hens will get bread and go sit on eggs leaving the toms out trolling for new hens.

using your mouth only cannot give you the long range calling that most calls provide you with. but for most circumstances when i have a tom already coming in ona string and i want him to put ona show at my feet, i stop using my long range calls and i start purring and clucking with my mouth to him as he approaches. the purring seems to get him to think he is the lucky one to be able to breed.

i will note, that while this does work, it never gets as good as results as using a slate call purr or the right box call yelp. learning to use a diapram call is great if you can keep learning it, it has a more realistic sound then everything else but it takes a verygood experienced caller to reachthe full potential.

i can't give you much advice as to exactly how to call to them, you can only learn how to call and then test it by trial and error. using the techniques you have learnedin the woods and listening to match the same call you heard from the turkeysis the best instructor.