HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is this possible?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this possible?

ORIGINAL: AZHuntr

At 284fps how much higher would you say?

A lot of this depends on how low on your face your anchor point is.

What I mean by that is that if the distance between your nock point and your peep is say greater than your average shooters (and this depends on where you anchor) then you have changed the relationship between your line of sight and the flight path of the arrow.

It is pretty much the same as having a rifle with super high or see through scope rings. The higher your eyesight is compared to the path of the bullet... the longer the distance must be for the bullet to cross your line of sight. And it will do so twice. Arrows are the same way.

Another thing that will greatly affect your tradjectory is the type of fletching you use, and the amount of offset or helical those fletchings have. Real feathers, for example, will shoot pretty flat out to about 25-30 yards... and then they will start to drop much faster than plastic vanes will. Straight plastic vanes will not drop as fast at distances over 30 yards compared to feathers. So 284 with feathers with a hard helical and 284 with straight fletched blazers will not necessarily mean the same points of impact because their speeds change at different intervals. I hope this kinda makes sense.

As to hitting at 18 with your 30 yards pin.... I think that it really is a little bit different, but no offense here... most folks just cannot shoot good enough to tell. Even if it is just an inch or two (which is negligable for hunting and even most target purposes unless you are a pro shooter) it is still different. It just isn't different enough to cause you to miss or cripple an animal... and thats a good thing.