HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 200gr. Shockwaves UPDATE!
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 200gr. Shockwaves

I've probably got about as much experience with the 200SW as anybody. I have been shooting them almost exclusively since they came out I think (what was that, 2003 or so?). I average around 5-6 deer per year, so that makes it around what, 35-45 deer taken with it?

While the majority of these deer were in the 80-120 yd range, I have taken deer from 20yds to 338yds with this bullet. I target shoot with it to 400 yds, my groups are still MOA at that range.

The bullet performs well on deer. It expands nicely. The few I have recovered (like all bullets I've tried, majority are pass-thrus) are opened as wide as any XTP or anything else I've recovered. I would not use a non-bonded Shockwave on elk though, I've had a couple double-shoulder hits deform the bullet enough that I find the jacket separated from the lead under the far-side skin and the lead continued through to exit.

The bullet did its job again this year, I hit a nice 9-pt at 200 yds and he dropped in his tracks with a pass-thru.

I shoot it over 110gr FFg 777, 2100fps. At even 115gr the accuracy noticeably suffers in my gun.