HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 06:47 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Question

Make sure your comfortable. Definitly practice shooting from your stand. I set one up in my backyard to shoot out of about a month before season. Shooting from a stand is different then 2 planted on the ground. Especially at short range shots. Be sure to keep your upper body the same, and only bend at the waist to line up. Several make the mistake of trying to lower their arms down, to line up for a shot. Practice this on the ground first. Hold your bow out straight in front of you, then bend at the waist downward. Your shots will be better. Also practice shooting while in a sitting position. As far as equipment, everyone' s different. I personnally use a Realtree ez hanger while up in the tree. It simple to use, screws into the tree, and can be adjusted to position your bow & equipment in easy arms reach. Check & double check all your equipment. Especially for stand squeaks. If you hear a slight squeak now in it, it' ll sound 5x' s louder in the woods. 10x' s louder to a deer!!! I also wear a full body safety harness. I hunt alone alot, and a cell phone would never work where I am. So I have to be extra careful! If you' ve ever fallen its a feeling you' ll never forget! Prep your bow stand sights early. I' ve alreadly prepped several for this coming season. Be sure to have clear lanes. Little tiny unseen branches sticking up have away of ruining a seeming easy shot. I also like to have several small lanes in different directions. O' Mr. Whitetail has away of showing up from the least likely direction you expect! Most of all have fun & learn to enjoy it!!!!!!