HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - More Spin From RSB
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
cnyguy
Spike

Default RE: More Spin From RSB

I can also prove that the browse did not "bounce back and that the populations didn't respond accordingly. The DCNR 2006 Browse Impact Study showed only 24% of the plots surveyed had successful regeneration. The PGC studies still show regeneration in 2 F and 2G as rated as poor despite over 10 years of reduced herd and the population in 2G is now lower than it has been in over 50 years.
Bluebird,
Since you know so much about deer management, in what circumstance would this be possible?

Answer, then I refer you to the study that shows how or why this can happen.

One thing I do agree with you on is AR's are simply a "feel good" response to a bigger problem. There are many states that have never practiced AR's and have incredible deer populations with monster bucks.

The 10 fold number I talked about was Ohio...23,431 deer killed in 1976. In the 2006-2007 season 237,316. Seasons now run from Oct to Jan, hence 06-07.
There was no "late" season hunting in 1976 to carry into 1977. There were only 22k killed in 1977 and 1978.

Many other midwest states have had population increases similar to this, including Ind, Ill, Iowa. Pa has always had a lot of deer. My brothers used to hunt Potter county and kill deer every year, rarely did the bucks go much over a 100 lbs (field dressed) even if they did have 6-8 points. The "dozens" of does they saw looked like they came out of a cookie cutter, 60-80 lbs.