HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Cruise J.D.

Default RE: Are we prejudice ? Is there something we're overlooking ?

ORIGINAL: Dopler

ORIGINAL: Cruise J.D.

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I think most of the negative talk you hear from bow hunters spawns more from elitism than anything else. You see the second you (or anyone) starts toseparate the two by negative points, the deeper the wedge is driven and the worse it is for all of hunting.

Any form of hunting whether it be shooting at deer from field edges or trekking into their bedding, travel routesor feeding areas will end up "pressuring" deer if done excessively. This happens more quickly from gun hunters obviously due to the sheer numbers that hit the woods during the gun seasons. The private land my family owns shows no ill effect from the gun season and I've even killed deer with my bow the very day after the gun season ended while she (it was a doe) was going about her business like nothing had happened the day before. I had been out the three days prior hunting with my gun.

Gun hunters set up over open fields (for the most part) because their weapon can reach long distances. If a bow could kill out to 200yds and beyond on a regular basis (like a rifle) I guarantee you'd see most bow hunters setting up the same way. We utilize what we have to get a kill. When I pistol hunt I know my effective range is pretty much the same asmy compound and I set up accordingly. When I use my slug gun (Deer) or my rifle (Coyotes, Fox, Raccoon, Opossum, etc...) I set up in a way to get the maximum effectiveness from the weapon I'm using. I've also brought my slug gun deep into the timber on many occasions as well because it happen to be where I wanted to hunt that particular day.

Bow hunters who talk negative about gun seasons do sofor one reason and one only (IMHO) selfishness. Selfishness brought on by a twisted ideology of entitlement and elitism. The term "Hunter" means nothing to them, they only understand "Bow Hunter", and any other form of hunting that impedes or diminishes their attempt to kill their deer is either looked down upon or spoken negatively of.

Prejudice?.....You better believe it!
Yep. It's funny to hear bowhuntersgripe so much about DNRs and G&Fs. From apopulation control perspective, bowhunting is one of the worst and most ineffective methods for herd management using traditional hunting techniques. A DNR's primary purpose with respect to deer is to keepthe deer herd in check and to keep ithealthy. We are fortunate to even have bow seasons.
Bow hunting is big business, don't kid yourself for a minute that states are doing us a favor by allowing a bow season, states get tons of cash from tag sales and equipment taxes for archery gear.A guy buys a rifle and a set of blazehe keeps it for15 years, guystrade bows like underwear as the equipment is constantly evolving. I've owned aRemmingtondeer rifle for 25 years now and I've owned over 20 bows inmy life, do the math.

I would also say it's a fair statement that bowhunters generally have a better understanding of wildlife asthey interact withnature closely and spend much more time in the woods. It's not really hard for a gun hunter to shoot a deer a 200 yards but for a bow hunter, it's a real challengeand it takes real skill to get close with a bow and use your own bodies energy to launch the short range projectile, we have to move while the deer is close during the draw, not just flip the safety off at 150 yards with the scope crosshairs on the animals chest. That may seem like"elitism" to you but it's just a fact of the differences between gun and bow hunting. Bow hunting is far less intrusive on natureand is far more spiritual in my eyes and I've done both extensively.

How many gun hunters sit there paitiently all week waiting for the deer? Yes, some do, moreoften they gather into parties and start driving cornfields, swamps, thickets, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, most big bucks in Illinois are killed in deerdrivesbut the point of this topic is which is more invasive and is there a prejudice? Ithink lots of hunters, lot's of gunshotsis just a part of gunhunting and it's natural forsome people to shy away from that type of activity and form some resentments.

You never refuted my statement that bowhunting is an inferior herd management technique. Simple harvest numbers bear that out. If the antis ever gain the upper hand, bowhunting will be the first to go. It is the least defensible from a scientific herd management view.