Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Default RE: Are we prejudice ? Is there something we're overlooking ?

Even though we have a boatload of archers here in PA and the woods get pretty crowded in some areas, the deer overall are no where near as pressured as when the pumpkin army hits the woods. It really is just a matter of numbers here.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never noticed a difference in how deer travel and interact during firearms season, on my properties. I can bowhunt all year....Sometimes I notice an increase in deer numbers, most likely because someone on a nieghboring property did a deer drive...Seems like the deer seek refuge for a few hours and then go back("seems").
Consider yourself lucky. That isn't even clsoe to a reality for the places I hunt. Itsa circus to put it mildly. Drives almost daily, and even when those aren't going on you can still find a random guy or 5 wandering around because they are too cold or bored. It would be a dream if they all watched fields.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Some gun huntersact how you described.Many of them do drives which is more invasive than anything bowhunters do. Also, how many of you have see drunken gun hunting groups in the woods, talk about scary, I've never met a drunken bowhunter in the field yet.

I have nothing aginst gun hunters, I have hard feeling againstsome state goverments that have laws/seasons that cater too much to gun hunters like having seasons in the rut, too largeof game limits and too long of seasons for rifle/shotgun and now muzzleloader which is essentially a rifle nowadays.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have hard feeling againstsome state goverments that have laws/seasons that cater too much to gun hunters like having seasons in the rut, too largeof game limits and too long of seasons for rifle/shotgun and now muzzleloader which is essentially a rifle nowadays.
How can you seriously say that dude? Look how much time bowhunters have, then compare that to how much time gun hunters do. Really there is no comparison.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

It doesnt effect my hunt, except for more people being out in the field. If I had a complaint it would be that many gun hunters do not know, or care much about understanding deer. And due to this, they drive all over the place, or walk everywhere,and tend to spoke the deer. The land next to mine is all gun hunters. Many times they will walk all over the place, right next to my fence line, spreading stink all over the normal trails that the deer use. This gets the deer unpredictable, making it hard to set up on them.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dopler

I have nothing aginst gun hunters, I have hard feeling againstsome state goverments that have laws/seasons that cater too much to gun hunters like having seasons in the rut, too largeof game limits and too long of seasons for rifle/shotgun and now muzzleloader which is essentially a rifle nowadays.
Story of Minnesota.

The ONE thing that I'm not fond of, is that my family (whom have gotten better) pay no attention to scent control. That pressures deer more than I like to think about.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

I have hard feeling againstsome state goverments that have laws/seasons that cater too much to gun hunters like having seasons in the rut, too largeof game limits and too long of seasons for rifle/shotgun and now muzzleloader which is essentially a rifle nowadays.
How can you seriously say that dude? Look how much time bowhunters have, then compare that to how much time gun hunters do. Really there is no comparison.
Rory,

If I was gun hunter In Minnesota I would be tickled pink. The rut Is usually In It's prime during the gun season. I've seen some unbelievable bucks at this time while bow hunting but they were either running or they were way to far away. I'd have some dandy bucks if I chose to gun hunt. They have It made here In Minnesota. What Dopler Is saying Is probably exactly what I just said. This Is no rip on the gun hunters. It's a rip on the Mn DNR and there regulation's.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I have never noticed a difference in how deer travel and interact during firearms season, on my properties. I can bowhunt all year....Sometimes I notice an increase in deer numbers, most likely because someone on a nieghboring property did a deer drive...Seems like the deer seek refuge for a few hours and then go back("seems").
Consider yourself lucky. That isn't even clsoe to a reality for the places I hunt. Itsa circus to put it mildly. Drives almost daily, and even when those aren't going on you can still find a random guy or 5 wandering around because they are too cold or bored. It would be a dream if they all watched fields.
This is exactly what I was thinking. The average gun hunter here will sit down for a few hours and then be on his feet moving around. He doesn't know anything about bedding areas, escape routes, edge cover, or terrain features so his movements are erratic and unpredictable. He may move about and not disturb a thing or he may move through security cover causing all hell to break loose. And this is only if he is by himself.

If he is part of a group they will push out every available woodlot they can set up on and drive out in a day's time. Anything they don't get they will get the next day and once they have expended all of the property they can push they will do it all over again.

This is not a criticism of the way they choose to hunt because everything I've stated is legal and a long standing tradition here in PA. However, it does definitely put a lot of pressure on the deer and puts them on a near exclusive nocturnal pattern, so that the only movement you can expect is if they are pushed. That makes for some difficult bow hunting later on in the seaon.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Rory...

Take a look at "most" big buck states regs. No gun hunting during the rut.

We still kill more bucks than does in my state. We'll never be even "good" if we continue to allow this. It's gonna get worse, next year, when gun seasons are proposed to be lengthened.

We STILL have it good here as bowhunters.....but it's gonna get worse. Will it affect my hunting? You betcha. I already share grounds with gun hunters....and the adjacent properties see gunfire, too.

For the MOST part, though....I agree with the OP. They usually sit the field and thicket edges, here. I have pockets they won't go into. I'm tryingto use those to my advantage.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.