HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Default 7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION!

Earlier this year I got a TC Encore 50 cal muzzleloader and also picked up a 7mm Rem. Mag. barrel. I shot my first deer with this rifle last weekend. I'm shooting standard "off the shelf" Remington 150 grain cartridges.

My question is, what's up with the absolute devastation of this round? I'm not happy with it at all. Sure, the doe that I took only made it a few yards (and I think she was dead before she slammed into a tree), but it really tore her up. The shot clipped the left front leg, blew through the middle of the heart and the exit hole was the size of a small orange. The path of the bullet would have just missed the right front leg, but there was still a huge curved chunk of the right front leg missing. When Ifield dressed her, the bottom of her heart was loose in the chest cavity.It had exploded.

I'm not a guru when it comes to this stuff. I lost quite a bit of venison, and I'm not happy about that because I don't like waste. Is there another bullet out there for the 7mm that would cause less damage, or should I just get another barrel?