HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The most accomplished hunter never known...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM
racewayking
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The most accomplished hunter never known...

Greg, first of all kudos on another great buck! Another great deer and unique trophy, you earned it.

Now for the statement "The most accomplished hunter never known"! I can't agree with that statement and it's no disrespect to Greg by any means, his post alone shows he knows he is an accomplished hunter but respects the fact there are many out there that we will never know. My ex wife's grandfather had an attic filled with racks that were incredible, all taken in the Madison, WI area and Northern WI. I remember one that had several little points, almost crystalized looking that had to have over 100 points less than two inches. I know there were over 40 P&Y class bucks in that attic and tried to get her uncle to pull them out to catalog them and send it in to North American Whitetail, divorce would eventually end that quest.

Recently I went to Brown County Illinois and met a cousin of my neighbor while there. He has hunted that area his entire life and has numerous P&Y's and Booners on his wall at home though I wasn't able to see them. At the farm he had 130" 8 point heads laying in the barn, too small to mount but worthy of the dinner table. You got to wonder how a guy can ditch P&Y class bucks and leave them in a barn, but to him they are not trophy deer. Some people would kill to have a 130 class on their wall yet some see them as no big deal!

The sad fact is that we will likely never know the greatest big buck hunter of all time, most likely his trophys are hidden somewhere on a farm in rural America only to be forgotten. Look at some of the biggest Deer, Elk, etc from the record books and many were found years after being shot by family members and submitted with the hunter finally being recognized years and decades after taking them.

We are blessed to have some incredible hunters on this site, some taking monster deer year after year on public land anyone can hunt. We have guys with great properties taking bucks year after year that only they can hunt. There are so many on this site that deserve kudos for their accomplishments and they do it their way, though some work much harder than others. For me the guy that walks 1, 2, 6 miles per hunt on public land to areas nobody else will go get my respect most. I have it easy where I hunt, I walk up a hill a few hundred yards and hop in a stand not much unlike many in here. I am not sure I would ever make the 2 mile trek with a stand and climbing sticks on my back

Kudos again Greg, you are a great hunter who dropped another awesome deer. Kudos as well to all the other guys on here doing it right and dropping incredible deer, many of you may never be known to the general public but we are all blessed to say we know you and can relish in your success!