HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your chance to vote on my ineptness
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Jeff, I saw what you described as far as that strange looking color in the sky on my way out yesterday as well. It was like a purplish grey that I don't think I can ever recall seeing before. Surreal is a good description of it. I thought for a moment it was a prelude to a tornado.
The way you describe your season so far is crazily similar to mine. I also have NEVER hunted as much in my entire life. My work situation, or lack there of,had everything to do with this. I've never hunted this many all day sits before either. And yes, at times it did feel like a "job". I think this was because of me almost never seeing deer, and a lot of mornings I'd be walking in all but knowing that I wasn't going to see anything. I have a strong drive to succeed when it comes to deer hunting because it's theone thing in life I truely love to do, aside of catching wild/native trout.
You know what though? It's not over until the fat lady sings!I will now give Alberta my undivided attention for a week (6 days) to kill a nice buck. Then when I return, I'll give it my best again duringPa's regular buck season. With my bow of course.Good luck to you. You sure do give it hell Jeff!
Good stuff EI....and I'm glad you saw what I did.

The trout fishing is a great thought! I can wade a mountain stream for hours and not get caught up in what I "might" or "should" catch. I need to find that in my deer hunting.

NY....again....good stuff. I'm getting "there". I also appreciate your confidence (or gut feeling!).

One thing I would like to add to putting in a lot of time and not killing a deer. Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my stand not seeing anything as per usual. I watched a squirrel running upa tree with leaves in his mouth to make his home warm and comfy for the winter. He was doing this same exact thing the previous day. Up and down he would go. I lost track of how many times I watched him doing this, but it took the "edge" of of not seeing deer. I found this sillyness amusing.I think it's these neat little things that we need to appreciate while we're hunting.
There are many people who live such hectic (sp) lives that they will never be able to see the simple little things of life. I think that's a shame. We as hunters are a verylucky to witnessthese things even if we're not seeing deer. We learn much about the woods and the animals that live there. I love hunting even if at times it feels like a job.

EI I had a similar sighting one sit this year. I watched two squirrels (who apparently shared this nest) work ALL afternoon on it. These two won't get cold, this year! They worked their butts off to make sure of it. Really cool to witness.