HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your chance to vote on my ineptness
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

You will learn more (MUCH MORE) about who you are as a hunter and what it takes to hunt a particular animal in this season than any prior. And in doing so.. will eventually find your "curveball" so to speak. And watch how the deer will fall once you do.
I already HAVE learned more this year than I ever thougth I would about deer, Mike. I owe a LOT (understatement) to you for that. Thanks. You've been a WONDERFUL resource...a great sounding board....and a great friend. Thank you.

I understand the "curveball" reference PERFECTLY. You'll understand that I've been stepping into the box without thinking about the pitcher too much, lately. It's hard to guess the pitch when you fail to put much emphasis on who's on the mound that particular at-bat. Lot of good it does you to guess fastball when Wakefied's on the rubber.

Your confidence that I will learn the pitchers is refreshing. I hope to see them fall...as you say....in the comng years (and maybe THIS one).

Relax.. you will remember this season as your greatest and not as your worst.
Thank you. And again...you are 100% correct. It's been a GREAT ride, so far. I would have NEVER thought I'd be sitting here thinking the way I do, today, in the past. I'm seeing things in the woods(and on topos/aerials/etc...) I never would have noticed in years past. It may take me a while to apply all these things....but I too have confidence it'll fall into place.

I've got probably 20+ more sits left in me this year (time allocated). Heck I'm already looking forward to scouting for '09, too.

Back to the baseball metaphors for a second, Mike....

If I've learned one thing this year.....it's this..

Sometimes it's betterto let the leftyswing against the lefty.....even though coventional wisdom tells us the odds are against it. MOST times it's NOT, though. Knowing the difference is the keyto the the deer "falling". YoujustHAVE to know who's on the mound and know the hitter's abilities are (has he been hot? ....i.e. good weather? Good wind? Good timing?). I need to learn when to stay on the bench and when to grab the bat. But if I grab the bat.....I need to have a DAMNED good idea of whats coming.

eswan...

It is easy to overthink the situation & the process on the whole (in both golf & hunting).
There's not even a FINE line in this and what I'll be doing from here on out. I don't want to give the impression that I'll be"winging it" from here on out. It's not in my make-up to do that.

I won't go afield without a solid plan. I just need to REALLY (intelligently) put what I've learned to good use.

Here's an examle of what I'm talking about...

I've been playing the wind religiously this year. It's an awesome tool...and a HUGE confidence boost when you can see deer and KNOW you're "good" as long as they don't go "there". Even in knowing this....I've set up in a few spots that I DIDN'T utilize it totally to my advantage. Right woodlot. Right time. WRONG TREE......even by as much as 20-30 yds (which is the difference between a harvest photo and a "sighting" in bowhunting). I've done this6-8 times, so far.....and if I'd stop and really think about it more.....there's no excuse for it.

Little things like this are what separates the guys getting it done on a regular basis....and the guys who get it done "occasionally". These little things are HUGE.

BUT......Once you've done your homeowrk (fully)...ya gotta go with what you brung (swing, that day).....relax.... let it happen.....and not get in your own way. Getting in your own way is NOT taking the time to apply the things you know will make you successful. it's tepping into a woodlot and thinking "that tree looks better than the spot over there I'd originally decided on". You've given up a ittle bit of your advantage (possibly) and that "little" bit is what I spoke of earlier. It's huge. Getting in your own way is KNOWING that the 3wd is the right play on #5.......and thinking "I'm killing my driver....I'll hit it here". You've given up your biggest advantage, which is your ability to think, cognitively.

Theres a time and a place to hit the driver, there. Knowing that is HUGE, too. Aggression is a huge risk/reward. I find hunting and golf VERY similar in that regard. Course management and a sound hunting strategy (per hunt) are synonymous. I found, in golf, that deviations usually cost you (throughout the course of a round/tournament). I've found that to be true in hunting even moreso.