HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Walk-Back Tuning ?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 01:09 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Walk-Back Tuning ?

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

Does it have the same basic effect of paper tuning? Getting your arrow to fly out straight by adjusting your rest?
Yes.

For me, tuning is not something that occurs as a seperate event. I use the laser for initial set-up and thenpaper tune. Lastly, Igo to my target for walkback. But first, I will set my sights and be ready to hunt with the bow. Walkback is something that I do over a period of several days or even weeks. It gives me many chances to shoot the bow while I am fresh. Before, I make a change,I verify the results by shooting the bow 2-3 times. It's a drawn out process not a distinctive one day event.
Kevin,
Try this, just eyeball everything, do a quick walk-back, 5-10-15-20-25yds, and tweak, then throw BH's on, and re-tweak, you could be done in an afternoon, tuning a bow shouldn't take "weeks," and if it is, you're likely taking steps that you don't need to. I'm still on the long walk-back myself, but the more I read, I'm considering doing a shorter walkback like I mention initially, and I've also considered zero'ing ONE pin, and BH tuning right from the start to see if it gets me to my endpoint quicker. There are MANY ways to tune a bow, but I think for MOST of us, it comes down to being able to put BH and FP's to a same or similar POI out to our desired hunting distance. For me at 40yds, I'll stack FP and BH's on a similar POI, and I have as much confidence in a 40yd BH shot as a 40yd FP shot as long as its not WINDY!!!