HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30/30 For Elk
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 AM
drs1961
Fork Horn

Default RE: 30/30 For Elk

Agreed likewise. When the "underpowered" 30-30 came out a hundred or so years ago, it was to all who had the chance to get their hands on one, the equivalentof a futuristic death ray. Probably every animal that walks or crawls on this continent has been killed with the "lowly" 30-30. As for the range limitation, that would depend on the body size of the animal you are pursuing. I recently returned from an antelope hunt where we all carried classic "outdated" calibers. My choice was a 30-30, just to prove to this magnum crazed generation that it could still make muster. I had practiced with the new Leverevolution ammo and knew my elevation adjustments out to 300 yds. I tookmy firstshotat abuck at 291 yds. according to my Nikon rangefinder.The shot was a classic high double lung where the animal doesn't run but instead braces itself up on stiff legs. Slowlyturning about,it gave me another broadside shot andthe next bulletmade a high shoulder/spine shot which dropped him in his tracks. Both bullets were pass throughs. I shot my doe at 268 yds. with a single neck shot that dropped her before the sound of impact reached me. To be honest, I was holding on her shoulderand did not take into account the stiff cross wind that I was shooting into. The impact took out two vertebrae and the only thing keeping her head attached was the muscles and hide on either side of her neck.So much for and old "outdated, underpowered" cartridge.