HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slowing your hunting arrow down?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default Slowing your hunting arrow down?

I've only been at this a few years, now....and I admit to getting caught up in the "speed" thing in the past. Speed is great. It's an advantage in most all cases. Having a bow capable of pushing top speeds is an advantage. If nothing else.....it allows one to set up a heavier arrow and still achieve "optimal" speeds/setups.

That's where I'm coming full circle.

I remember shooting 3D in VA with the TN state champ a couple seasons ago. As always....the conversation got around to hunting. He said he'd taken 17 deer with his bow the prior season. He also said he liked for his hunting setup to push his arrow no more than 250fps. When I asked "why?"....he said ....any faster than that....and he can't see the arrow make impact.

I've always struggled with that, too. I occasionally see the arrow make impact. More times than not...I simply see a hole appear on the animal. I'm trying to build a heavy arrow (for penetration purposes) but I must admit the fact I may see the impact better is a "plus".

I'm in the process of trying to SLOW DOWN my arrow. It's a natural side-effect of adding weight....but I'm looking at it as a "positive". A 30yd shot in my hunting situations is a long shot. So, trajectory issues shouldn't be an issue. If I hunted the western plains....or planned on longer shots in the field....I might have a different outlook.

Looking for +/-525gr. and 250fps. right now. I'll report back when I give them a field test. I've taken my last 11 deer with two pass-thrus. My goal is to have one EVERY time. We'll see. I hope to be able to see my impacts better, too.

Speed is great. Using all that your bow will produce is great.....for some. Having it at your disposal (and being able to do what I'm doing) is something everyone can't do. So....I'm not putting down "speed bows" (quite the contrary). Just offering a different (not "different" to many here who've been around the block and KNOW what I'm talking about) perspective.