HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1shotkill's hunting diary (pics added)
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM
1shotkill1993
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MY LITTLE DIARY

Tuesday 11-11-08 Afternoon

Last night when I got home I was too tired to do anything so I went to bed. Sorry about it kinda being late.
Got dropped of at the same place as Monday. Got to the stand about 3:30. The action was already started. As soon as I got in my seat, I heard something moving to my left. There was a doe headed up the opposite side of the ridge. I decided not to shoot her, then I hear another deer coming up the same path. I get the deer in my scope and it’s a small 3pt. I pass on it and let him “get some”. Then about 7 gobblers came behind me searching through the leaves. There was also 2 does in the field and the turkeys spooked them too.
Nothing else showed up until 5:00. I heard a deer running down to the creek bottom. I couldn’t find it in my scope, and I waited till it got in the field. When it got to the field I realized it was the same broken legged doe that I had seen the day before. I was going to shoot her so I get her in my scope. Then I hear another deer coming down the creek bottom. So I wait for it to get in the field, and it was the same 3pt. that I had seen earlier. At that point I wanted to shoot the doe, but she had gone over the crest of the field out of my vision. Then I hear ANOTHER deer come down the same path to the creek bottom. I wait for it to get in the field and at first I don’t see very many points so I wasn’t going to shoot. I keep looking at it and it turns and all I see is how wide it was so when it turns broadside I shoot him.
At this point it was 5:30, right at dark, and the only light I have is my 3 bulb LED so I poke my head over the crest of the hill when I get down, I don’t see him so I go back to the truck for a better light.
My friend Dave had heard me shoot and was waiting for me back at the truck. He had a better light and we went to look for him. The landowners dogs had followed us. We got to the general are where I had shot him and immediately the dogs got their noses to the ground and started sniffing around. Dave and I started looking for blood. We couldn’t find anything and Dave’s light had died, so we’re left with two little LED lights. Right when we were about to go look for him in the woods the dogs started barking. I thought that was kinda weird so I started walking over to him and one of the dogs came over to me, started barking and was looking like he wanted me to follow him. So I did. The dog led me straight over to the far edge of the field, the only place we hadn’t looked.
We drug the deer to the top of the crest in the field to gut him. I make the first cut at the breast bone and his heart immediately starts to pump. It scared the **** out of me and I cut his throat real quick. I had never had a deer do anything like that to me before. It kinda made me feel bad, but oh well.
He turned out to be a 5pt. He was real wide but he just didn’t have any points on him. But I am happy that I got him. I’m at school right now, so ill post some pics when I get home, I promise. Sorry bout the long story…

Heres the pics of the buck I shot, idk why I measured, but he's pretty wide. 13 inches exactly.