HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coyote with my bow!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 05:39 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote with my bow!!!

Well, I wish it had been the big 140-ish 10pt I saw, but being my first coyote with a bow, and being that I called her back to me with a bleat, I was pretty pumped.

Overall, I had a pretty poor weekend, the only 2 deer I could have shot were a small 100" or so 8pt, 2.5yr old, nice little buck, but he needs 2 more years, and a yearling doe, that came running through like something was following her, but nothing followed..... The wind blew all weekend in NW Ohio, sometimes hard enough, I just wrapped an arm around the tree and held on for the ride, but this morning's hunt was my most productive, with the coyote coming trotting in looking for whatever had just made that bleat. I watched her come in from a couple hundred yards away, and then she put the brakes on and stopped looking around the bottom I was hunting for what must've made that noise, so I muffled it and let another little on sneak out, and it was like she was on a line and I was reeling her in. She came trotting in to me, and made it halfway up the bank below the flat my stand was on when at about 12yds, I TWHACKED her. Hit her a little high, only about an inch below the spine on entry side, and maybe 3.5" below on the exit side, so she didn't bleed out well at all, but she died pretty quick, running only about 70yds, and was down in sight. Because the wind was blowing directly in her direction, I felt pretty good about my scent control, considering she came running in towards me with the wind at my back. I'll get pics up later, as the wife has the camera with her right now.

For those of you in woods with a lot of coyote's a doe bleat seemed to work wonders on this one!!!!