HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cutting diameter
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 AM
vichris
Fork Horn

Default RE: cutting diameter

ORIGINAL: annika3

This has been gone over numerous times before but heare we go again.

Cutting diameter = the size of the wound channel

Cutting surface = the amount of damage within the wound channel (see above)

What's more important? That, I guess, is open for debate but think about it this way.

Lets take 3 Bh's and compare.

Slick Trick Standard:

1" Cutting diameter
2" Cutting surface

This means you will get 2" of surface cutting damage within a 1" cutting area

Rage 2-blade

2" Cutting diameter
2" Cutting surface

This means you will get 2" of cutting surface within a 2" cutting area

Broadhead xyz

1" Cutting diameter
4" Cutting surface (8 blades)

This means you will get 4" of cutting surface within a 1" cutting area

Example 1 and 3 both give you a 1" cutting area but by simply adding more blades example 3 has 4" of cutting surface. Does this make this head superior to example 1? According to what you are saying your answer should be yes. But in each bh example you are still obtaining the same 1" cutting diameter.

Comparingexamples 1 and 2 you are getting a much larger wound channel(cutting diameter)in example 2 (Rage) and they same amount of damage (cutting surface) as example1(Slick Trick). The big difference is that with the Slick Trick all the damage is occuring in a small 1" wound channel compared to the 2" wound channel of the Rage.

Excellent points......

I'll add one more thing into the mix. The possibility of mechanical failure. Some human/hunter caused and other Mfg caused. I've seen a fair amount of posts on some other forums about Rage using pins vs screws.

Now I'm not saying that theRage BH's aren't a good BH. Everyone knows that they have killed alot of deer. But the same can be said for alot of fixed BH's. God only knows how many deer fell to Flint or Obsidian.

The difference is that flint didn't have a commercial running every 10 min on theOutdoor channel.And if you think that advertising hype doesn't make a difference.......................... then maybe you really do think Obama is more qualified to be president than any other citizen. [:'(]