HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Elk: Unit 67?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Howler
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Elk: Unit 67?

Clattan, I' ve hunted 67 for over 10 years. The quality of bulls in the area isn' t real great, this may start to change now that this unit has become draw area only. I haven' t checked in about 5 years, but the b/c ratio was about 15 bulls to 100 cows, which is terrible if you' re looking for big mature bulls. Our group, sometimes upto 8 guys, has never come home with less than 50% kill, including bulls and cows. My uncle has hunted that same area for nearly 35 years, and has only killed one 6x6. The only other 6x6 that our group has gotten was mine about 7 years ago. The first season often will have bulls still doing some bugling early in the mornings, so get out early and listen. If you are looking to kill a cow, there is really know reason why you shouldn' t be able to, as there are alot of elk around. Find a good spot to sit in the mornings and eves. and still hunt in the afternoon, and you should see elk. We have always hunted around the Saw Tooth Mtn. area, which is limited in roads, but this also limits hunters. Bring some good pack frames, get away from the road, and you won' t see too many other hunters, and you should see elk. Good Luck!